|IT’S GENERAL ELECTION TIME! |
Thank you so much to all who joined us for the historic march on October the 19th. It was a great day and so important to have such a high turnout!
And now we have an election upon us! This gives us a chance to steer the Brexit debate in our favour and to secure a People’s Vote down the line. So let’s seize this opportunity and make it count!
Tactical voting is essential – we must embrace it in order to deny the Brexit Tories a majority.
Please read on to find out about the following: The rationale for our recommendations – view from the Chair Our tactical voting recommendations – what we think by constituency Registering to vote Vote swapping How you can help
|Rationale for our recommendations – from our chair, Peter Leisupe |
As you know, Berkshire for Europe was set up to “to find legal and democratic ways to stop Brexit” and this is the basis on which we have made our recommendations for the general election – we favour no single party, and we ourselves come from a wide range of political horizons. We will not comment on individual party policies expressed in their manifestos unless they have a direct impact on Brexit.
We believe that best outcome for remain in this election is a hung parliament with remain parties and individuals holding the balance of power. Our take on the main opposition parties The Liberal Democrats state they will still stop Brexit if they win the general election. However, we see the prospect of them winning the general election as unlikely and have taken this into consideration during our deliberations.
Labour is not yet unequivocally behind remain. In Berkshire, it is also having to operate in a historically conservative region. These issues have also been taken into consideration.
In addition to statistics on constituencies and information on tactical voting sites, we have also used local knowledge gained from conversations we have had whilst canvassing and holding street stalls.
|Our Tactical Voting recommendations |
Here are our recommendations for our local constituencies. We have had close contact with these candidates and know them to be committed remainers. Note that it is too early for us to decide on candidates in Bracknell, Windsor and Maidenhead. We are working hard on this and will let you know as soon as we have made a decision.
Reading East: Matt Rodda, Labour
Reading West: Rachel Eden, Labour
Wokingham: Dr Phillip Lee, Liberal Democrats
Newbury: Lee Dillon, Liberal Democrats
Slough: Tan Dhesi, Labour
Windsor & Eton: TBC
|Tactical voting websites |
If you would like to conduct your own research on tactical voting in your constituency, there are several tactical voting websites. Some of them are less reliable than others, so we would suggest you compare across as many as you can.
We are happy to recommend the Best for Britain tactical voting site and the Remain United tactical voting site, as both of these organisations have aims that tie in directly with ours – they are simply committed to stopping Brexit. Use the following links, but be aware that Remain United will not be issuing their advice until Sunday 10th Nov.
Best for Britain
|Are you registered to vote? |
The first thing we need you to do is to make sure you are registered to vote. The registration deadline is midnight on the 26th November. Please be aware that students can register in two places. They can only vote in one place, but they can decide which place that is on the day. Encourage others in your circle to register, especially young people. The website for voter registration is as follows:
|Are you ready to vote tactically? Swap your vote if not |
You may feel uneasy about the voting recommendation in your constituency, but we would strongly encourage you to put these feelings aside and ‘pinch your nose’ if need be. This is the most important election in a generation. It’s our only chance to change the direction of travel and we have to take it. With our first past the post system, we may find that we have to vote with our heads, not our hearts.
If it’s still tricky, you can always arrange to swap your vote. The following website enables you to find someone in a different constituency who needs to vote for your preferred party, but is finding that difficult. By swapping votes, your conscience can stay clear. Note that this website will be active from mid-November.
|Can you help get a Remain Parliament? |
1. Can you offer your help to any of our recommended candidates? If so, please contact them via their websites or social media channels.
2. Are you active on social media? Given the time of the year, social media will be as important as physical campaigning. Keep putting remain messages out there. Follow our recommended candidates. Write posts, join message boards, call in to radio shows. We need as many pro-remain voices out there as possible.
3. Can you help Berkshire for Europe? We will be running stalls and distributing our own leaflets during the run up to the election. Please contact us if you can help.
4. Talk to friends and family. Let like-minded people within your circle know about tactical voting and the recommended candidates. Arrange postal votes or proxy votes if you are unable to vote in person on the day. You need to return the postal vote form as soon as possible and definitely before the 26th November. Here are links to application forms for postal and proxy voting.
5. Book the day off on December the 12th! If you can, make yourself available for your local candidate on election day – knocking on doors of supporters and getting the vote out on a cold winter’s day will be imperative!
6. Help fund us. We’re asking for donations to help us print more leaflets, pay for ads, and run stalls. We’re grateful for any financial help, no matter how small. PayPal link below:
Promoted by Berkshire for Europe on behalf of Britain for Europe (BFE (Europe) Limited), 1st Floor, Millbank Tower, 21-23 Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.